Switches and power points are annoying inconveniences when they stop working. Here are some tips for extending the life of your switches, power points and safety boards:
- Do not use a wet cloth to wipe down switches or power points.
- Do not use detergents or household cleaners on power points or switches.
- Ensure electrical cords do not hang from sockets where children can grab.
- Do not let children play with switches or power points.
- Do not overload the power board or power point by plugging multiple plugs into a single socket or through using double adapters.
- Do not plug a high wattage appliance into a power board.
- Keep switches, power boards and power points free of dust and dirt – if you observe a build up of moisture or dirt, call in a licensed electrician
All light switches and power points must be installed by a licensed electrician in Australia. If your home was built before the 1980’s you should organize an inspection of the homes wiring as soon as possible. Old wiring could be putting your family home at risk from fires, due to degradation of the wiring. A degraded wire could also be putting your family members at risk of electrical shock. Don’t delay!
For complete peace of mind, call out Omega Services on 1300 558 730 to inspect your switches and power points.